Thursday, February 12, 2009

Orange drink day...

Today I went in for my Glucose Screen - many know that it's a blood test that should be done between 24-28 weeks of pregnancy that screens for pregnancy induced diabetes and anemia. And for those of you who didn't know that, well you just learned something new. I got lucky and when I went in for my 20 week check-up they gave me the bottle of orange sugar stuff and told me to just come back in when ever between my 24-28 weeks. And so I choose today as my Glucose day. 

Here's the play by play...
the bottle of orange sugary liquidness - it smelled like orange pop...

gulping it down... you have to drink it in 5 minutes or less. So I just chugged it...

all done. It was tasty...

showing off my war wound...

I was totally going to document my blood being taken, but we forgot to take the camera. So let me share with you how it went. Once the orange stuff has been taken, you wait 1 hour and then have the blood drawn exactly ONE hour after you finish it. So we got to the doctors office - and I was already nervous. I HATE needles. HATE HATE HATE them. They called us in - Tyson offered his hand to hold - but I opted for the furry teddy bear to hold because my hands were sweaty. Yes I act like I am 5. So Tyson just stood next to me and watched while I had my eyes closed. It lasted 5 seconds. The blood nurse did a great job. Yea for the nurse. She was so nice.

So I survived and this afternoon the nurse called to tell me that everything was great.  
Yea no diabetes and no anemia. 

I do have to say something - the orange drink was BOMB. I thought it tasted great! It was just like orange pop with no fizz.  Granted I totally gulped it down - because almost everyone I've talked to about this test, has told me how awful the drink is. But I stopped to breath half way though my gulping and had one more taste and it was tasty! Perhaps I can just handle my sugar better or something. But it wasn't bad at all. So for all of those who told me is was so horrible - shame on you. haha. 

Okay that was my adventure today. Sad that this was the excitement of my day! 

8 comments:

Jesse said...

Okay, I can't believe you enjoyed your glucose drink. Granted, I didn't have the orange one, I had the lemon lime one. Now, at first taste, i thought, hmm that isn't too bad, it just tastes like sprite without fizz. Boy was I wrong. After the next few drinks, I thought I was going to puke. I drank it quickly and then proceeded to feel like CRAP all day long. Way too much sugar for my usually sugarless body. UggghhH! But, I am glad that it wasn't a yucky experience for you and that you don't have anemia or diabetes. GOOD NEWS!

jswomack said...

I liked my glucose drink (hopefully I like it again this time). I had the lemon lime one and it was totally no big deal, and I was expecting it to be awful...because that's what everyone told me too. It wasn't though, I thought it was pretty good! I do LOVE sugar though, maybe that helped.

Aimee said...

I didn't think it was that bad, but tasted like the syrup that goes into the pop. Good to know everything is going well!!

Clara said...

I liked the orange stuff too! :) I hate carbonation so I thought it was like the perfect orange soda :) Glad everything is going well!

Carrie said...

I didn't think the drink was bad either. The first time I had a lemon-lime flavor and the second time, it was fruit punch. Orange would have been good! :) Glad to hear that everything came back negative!

Lisa said...

Haha, I just had my glucose test yesterday too! I hated the stuff, it was so sweet I wondered if I'd be able to keep it down. I hope you guys are doing well, we miss you tons!!

Erin Curtis said...

Jen, I also chugged my drink, not out of fear for the bad taste but because I was in a hurry to leave. But, OOPS! My drink was carbonated and it almost came back up my nose! I'm glad you had the flat kind. =)

Kris and Kally said...

Oh I love you! I did the same thing...freaked out about the needle! hehee! I had to hold a nurses hand! And I had the fruit punch kind and thought it was quite tasty as well!