Wednesday, September 8, 2010

just another day in paradise...



paradie
(tyson and brody june 2010)

a few years ago, right before we were deciding where we were going to graduate school, i had gotten together with a group of friends for a friends baby shower. we all sat around talking about future plans of everyone's life. when it came to my turn to tell of our future plans about heading off to graduate school perhaps starting a family and what not, one friend commented by saying, "i am so glad i am not you". she continued on talking about how she was SO happy her husband was done with his undergrad degree and had a job, they were looking for a home and she would just "die" if she had to keep living the life of a wife with a husband who was a student. i have to admit i was kinda of taken back by what she said, but i do know she wasn't meaning to be rude by any means, she was just sharing her feelings, i didn't say anything after she was done going off on how super grateful she was that she wasn't me.
the conversations of life moved forward and that was that.
i have so say, i have days where i think about that comment that was said to me..."i am so glad i am not you" and i sometimes wish i could go back and say, ME TOO! I am so glad i am ME and have the life i have. I feel so LUCKY to have an awesome husband who is yes "still" a student who really in reality will probably make thousands more than this friends husband could ever dream of (not that, that's the point), but i feel lucky in the fact that WE as in Brody and I, get to spend SO MUCH TIME with Tyson. I am lucky that he's as smart as he is, that things come so easy to him so instead of slaving over hours and hours of studying, we are at the park playing or going on walks, or to the zoo, or grocery shopping, or playing games and chasing brody. I do know that the time will come when tyson doesn't have so much open free time, and I know the time will come once school is over and he has a "real world job" that we will have embraced all this free time to play and love what we do. It's great having him around, I love that if i need to go and do something, he comes along or will stay home with brody. it's awesome! I am so happy I am me! i am happy for my friend who's husband does have a job, they bought a home and have super lovely children. and while i am still the wife of a student, I wouldn't have it any other way! That's what I would say if I could go back in time.
I am so so so glad it's ME and not you. :)

3 comments:

Cami said...

Jen I love your attitude! I too am still the wife to a student and he will always be a student. I have a husband who loves to learn. We have been married for 10Years and yes there are moments when I think are you done learning yet but we just keep at it and in the end I am so grateful for a man who is such a great example to our children about bettering yourself and showing the importance of getting a good education!

Patti said...

Great perspective. SO much of how we live life is purely our attitude towards it. I feel like we're all in a hurry to get wherever it is we think we're going and fail to enjoy each season in the meantime. Way to seize this time in your life and make some amazing memories! :)

Erin Curtis said...

I agree, Jen. The school days are good. I'm so glad you are enjoying them. As busy as Reed was as a student I knew he would only get busier with a job. Thanks so much--I needed a good dose of gratitude today. I'm glad I'm me, too, even if it is day 4 of potty training and we've only had half as many successes . . .